Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My 1st Social Dance




My friend Connie and I had just gotten back from a trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico a week earlier (where we danced our butts off!) ... so when I suggested going to a beginner salsa class, followed by social dancing ... she jumped at it. So did Sarah, who sported some beautiful tango shoes she'd bought a few years earlier.

Since I had taken a week's worth of classes and private rehearsals with Christina and Charles, I thought, "no problem, I got this".

And then the "stars" showed up. The underbelly of Victoria's rhythmic dance circuit came out of the woodwork and blew me away. Let's put it this way: they caused the walls and windows to sweat because of their talented moves and passion. Bodies of all shapes and sizes and all ages ... tapping into their inner sensuality and root chakra rhythms to celebrate life through salsa. I could have watched Christina's performance team all night. And when some of them told me they'd only been doing salsa for a few years, I knew there was hope for me. :)

I watched dancers whom -- if I had passed them on the street -- I would have NEVER pegged them as salsa dancers. There was the skinny plain girl who looked nervous as a mouse in the corner ... the heavier guy who looked more comfortable in front of a computer screen than at a Latin club ... and the older silver-haired gentleman who I'd expect to see in a Tilley hat more than dance shoes.

But as soon as they all hit the dance floor ... WOW! Hip-shaking, body-spinning, rib-contorting, foot-stepping, smiling. They have my respect. I could have watched them all night! I'll admit you intimidated me, but you also inspired me. Thank you that! Salsa has captured my soul. :)

**Note: So, truth be told ... Connie and I went to Evolution (industrial club) around midnight for a bit of freestyle dancing to Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode. Salsa and couple-dancing in general is a blast, but there is something truly freeing about closing your eyes and letting your body move to the rhythm. Hmm ... salsa choreography to "Personal Jesus"? Hmm, could happen. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment