Monday, March 9, 2009

The First Day

I knew I had it in me to be a great dancer … always felt it in my soul. But that first morning … ugh. I mean who in the hell wakes up at 6:30am to go SALSA dancing before work? Apparently, I was going to be for the next few months, as well as my incredible dance partner, Charles, and brilliant choreographer, Christina.

I’ll admit I was a bit … nervous. It's been years since I danced on a stage. Except for the occasional "go white girl" cheers at dance clubs, this was going to be a bit of a personal rennaissance. Would sheer joy be enough to help me master footwork, swivel the hips correctly and even more nerve-wracking … would I truly be able to let a MAN … “lead”? Turns out … yes!
We entered the darkened Café Casablanca latin dance club, which is usually loud and boisterous with passionate dancers … we could hear Christina and Charles’ proper dance shoes on the wood floor and my cheap/painful 20-dollar Wal-Mart heels.

The music started … Charles grabbed my hands and put me in the proper form … and we started to dance salsa. And DAMN, it felt right!!! All of those years of mimicking Jennifer Grey iin Dirty Dancing when no one was watching clearly paid off. And being led by a man …? Go figure … if he’s a strong man who knows what he’s doing, I have no problem allowing a man to lead, once in a while. (take note: similar commentary for love situations, but that’s a note for another day). :)

When Christina told me they’d taught me 15 weeks worth of beginner classes in 20 minutes and that I’d gotten it … I knew this was going to be amazing. And that I, Heather Robinson, who once had the confidence to dance MC Hammer and Janet Jackson choreography with abandon as a teenager … would be able to pull this off in my 30s!

And even an early morning and sore bod couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I’m loving this …! My world has opened again ... and I will never go without dance in my life again.

NOTE:**On Saturday,June 6th, CBC-TV reporter Heather Robinson and professional salsa dancer Charles Murison will hit the dance floor at Dance Victoria's "Stars on Stage" gala fundraiser. Along with 7 other local personalities (NON-professional dancers)who are also training with pros, Heather is in intense rehearsals to learn salsa, wow you in June, and try to win against other couples who will be doing waltz, tango, etc. Ticket information and photos coming soon!!**

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How absolutely fabulous. I am thrilled for you. Any chance we could see some footage on the East Coast? Wish I could be there to cheer you on!! You rock, girl. -Alison

    ReplyDelete