Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Avoidance or Soul Survival?

I can hear it in their voices ... and in the silence that follows .. when I tell my dear friends and colleagues:

"No, I won't be listening to CBC's big town hall announcement tomorrow that is expected to lay off up to a thousand people in one fell swoop.

"Instead, I will be in the salsa studio, rehearsing, smiling, and basically focussing on all that is life-affirming right now."

They are shocked. And some are a little pissed ... that a TV journalist who has always loved the public broadcaster is actually missing out what is potentially one of the most significant announcements in the CBC's history.

What happens tomorrow could change the face and future of the CBC forever.

Hundreds of respected friends and colleagues could be sacked.

It could even be me.

But if I actually looked at the reality of the situation facing us -- and our industry as a whole -- I'd get pretty depressed.

And so, at 8:45am PT when every CBC employee across the country tunes in to hear what will become of us ...

I will not.

I will be heating up a chilly dance studio with Charles and Christina ...

Trying to finesse the fancy new footwork we learned today ...

Learning to "let go" even more so that Charles can flip/twist/twirl me in the air ...

And I will be smiling ... and having the time of my life.

Because regardless of what happens tomorrow ... regardless of the future of my career, my friends' careers, and the public broadcaster I love so much ... I will be okay. I am young, I am healthy, and I am not afraid of hard work.

Avoidance? Perhaps. The healthiest thing I can do for my soul? Absolutely.

But I'll admit that when our names are announced at the big "Stars on Stage" show on June 6th ... I truly hope that I'm still introduced as "Heather Robinson, CBC Televison Reporter".

No comments:

Post a Comment