Sunday, April 12, 2009

Salsa Breakfast Club Goes on Hiatus

For the last six weeks, three very dedicated people have woken up at 6:30am to hit salsa rehearsal at Cafe Casablanca.

Christina, Charles, and I were up against it ... Charles and I work during the day, Christina works at night ... the early morning was the only time we could fit into our schedules. Plus, I'm leaving for a month to cover the BC provincial election campaign, which means our 12-week dance training for the June 6th Stars on Stage competition was reduced to 8 weeks ... egads!

And so, two to three times a week, we would haul our tired and sorry asses into the club, turn on the heat and lights, put on some tunes, stretch and start dancing. It was hard ... until we took those first few dance steps.

On Thursday morning, I was able to dance the entire choreography to our fast music speed, with the lifts and other tricks. There is still a lot of finessing ("cleaning up") that I need to do, but I'll just have to practice in the mirror at the hotel or on the campaign bus during long road trips. :)

The plan is for me to get back to Victoria once or twice, even for a few hours to practice ... and I'm hoping to fit in some salsa classes and social dancing while based in Vancouver for the month to keep in shape and get my groove on.

The election is May 12th ... the goal is for me to back with the "salsa breakfast club" the very next day, May 13th. Those early mornings are harder for some (I won't say who, but the initials spell Christina ;) but it's all for a greater purpose ... to totally kick ass on June 6th and put on a fantastic salsa performance. I think we're up for it. :)

1 comment:

  1. As much as I hated getting up. I miss you!!

    ReplyDelete